Velvet competitions and stag sales are important events in the industry's calendar. Displayed velvet is a food product requiring appropriate hygiene measures while live animals present health and safety challenges.
Deer Industry New Zealand, the New Zealand Deer Farmers Association and the National Velvetting Standards Body have developed guidelines for velvet competitions and stag sales that will help event organisers manage these aspects.
Download guidelines for velvet competitions or stag sales here. These industry recommended guidelines can be provided to the event organisers. Additional signage to accompany the guidelines is also provided.
- Please wear gloves when handling velvet >>
- Place used gloves and masks here >>
- Velvet must remain frozen at all times >>
- No photographs permitted without approval from the sale organiser >>
- Please keep behind the line >>
- Please do not touch the velvet >>
- Contact a staff member if you want to handle velvet >>
- Working area – Please keep out >>
- Hand sanitiser available here >>