Sep 8, 2022
Issue 181 | September 2022
|If you or your NZDFA branch have recently held any deer farming events, please feel free to contact DFA Stagline and we will try to publish them in the next issue.|
People travelled far and wide to join the 90th birthday celebrations of one of the first founding fathers of the NZ Deer Farmers' Association, Bob Swann. Bob was presented with a 2022 special Matuschka award in recognition of his lifetime of contribution to deer farmers, the NZDFA and the wider industry.
Karen Middelberg on what the NZDFA Executive Committee have been up to, including planning for the October Branch Chairs meeting, advocating for deer farmers with HWEN and an opportunity to order a NZDFA jacket.
The NZDFA Executive Committee recently had the opportunity to meet with the venison marketing managers from Alliance, Duncan NZ, First Light, Mountain River and Silver Fern Farms. It was a great opportunity to share the issues and initiatives from all sectors of the industry.
The NZDFA along with DINZ hosted 4 Ag ITO students from 08–12 August as part of a Future Deer Farmers Experience tour to show them the deer farming industry. The selected students were Joel Loxton, Katie McNeill, Angus Gardner and Olivia Anderson.
"The P2P Programme has certainly made an impact on our farming operation, not just in what we do, but how we do it." Justin Steven reflects on how the P2P has impacted him as a farmer.
Producer Manager Lindsay Fung reports what he has been doing since the last issue, including trips to branch meetings, upcoming events being organised and a quick field trip for the producer management team.
- Do you want to help shape the future of NZ deer farming through knowledge and science?
- Reminder the NZDFA Matuschka Award and Deer Industry Award are to be presented in October. Nominations are now open.
- New Zealand Venison BBQ week starts this Saturday! In celebration of New Zealand Venison BBQ week, the NZDFA and DINZ are putting out a challenge to all deer farmers and lovers of venison to make your favourite venison dish.
- Support your local and national velvet and hard antler competitions
- Reminder for 2022/23 subscriptions and ANZ bank account to be closed on October 31
- Joke of the month
- DINZ Road Trip, Hawkes Bay, 20 September, Waipawa, REGISTER NOW >>
- 50 years of deer science, 26 September, Mosgiel, REGISTER NOW >>
- Environmental Award field day - Forest Road Farm, Wednesday 5 October, Tikikino >>
- Hawkes Bay 2022 Velvet and Hard Antler Competition, Thursday 17 November 2022, details to come >>
- SCNO 2022 Velvet & Hard Antler Competition, Friday 25 November, details to come >>
- North Island Velvet Competition, Saturday 26 November 2022, Te Awamutu >>
- National Velvet and Hard Antler Competition, 14-16 December, Invercargill >>
- 2023 Rising Stars, 25 February 2023, Te Awamutu >>